Tuesday 13 December 2011

THE ACOUSTIC FESTIVAL POET



This is a special post. I have just become the Festival Poet of The Acoustic Festival of Britain 2012, and what a line up! The price of the weekend is only £85 and that includes free camping! Get your tickets from the Festival website (http://www.acousticfestival.co.uk/tickets.html )

I shall be reading poetry around the festival site and appearing in the Top Hat Tipi, a rather wonderful space for poetry. I shall tell you more about the Festival as we get nearer to the date. It looks like being a fantastic weekend, there are some amazing people on, the great Joan Armatrading, a very accomplished lyricist and a superb live performer. The Animals are on as well, real legends from the 60’s. Plus the Bard of Salford himself, John Cooper Clarke, Liverpool’s Ian Mcnabb, who has had a long career first in The Icicle Works and later touring with Crazy Horse. Glen Tilbrook, late of Squeeze is also headlining. It promises to be a memorable weekend.

I am thrilled that I have the gig, and that one of my heroes is also on the bill, Robin Williamson. Some of you may have heard of The Incredible String Band (http://www.makingtime.co.uk/beglad/index1.htm). After they split up Robin has carved a unique career as a story teller, harpist, singer and poet.

More of all the other wonderful acts later. As I did when I was Festival Poet at The Purbeck Folk Festival this year, here is a list of music you can download from emusic (http://www.emusic.com/listen/#/profile/lists/showlist.html?nickname=anorak&lid=50105486&p=:) – if you are a member.

Nearer the time I’ll be putting up the Poem Me Paul, remember if you give me a coupon-then I’ll give you a poem!

4 comments:

  1. I love music festivals! They are one of my favourite things, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trisha, so do I, as long as they are not too big, there comes a point at which the audience stop being participants and become consumers. The Acoustic Festival is the right side of that divide, it should be a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it's going to be some event! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it is, there will be two and a half thousand people attending, so it is the biggest festival I have done. I'm on in the Top Hat Tent which is an open tepee, I am looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete