Friday 12 October 2012

BACK FROM BARCA


I arrived home yesterday and am still catching up. Where to begin? Well, I noticed more Catalunya symbols about the place than I have on previous trips. I think since The Crisis began the majority of the population has experienced financial hardship and the outlook is bleak. I saw more people pushing supermarket trollies from recycling bin to recycling bin, looking for what they could find.

This said I also went to the next neighbourhood or barri's Festa Major. This is a free, annual celebration that takes place in each of the cities districts and celebrates local culture. Les Corts, the barri next to where we usually stay; Sants, was holding their Festa Major and I had a great time. I missed the correfoc but last Sunday attended the dance. It was really fun, the local square was closed and a ten piece dance band played until the early hours. I loved the way the community came together and still managed to welcome strangers.






Wednesday evening's traditional sea songs, look how large the crowd is.


We also managed a few days on the Costa Brava, in Begur, a medieval town. The above photo is of the vestibule of the boutique hotel we stayed in. Such a cool place, breakfast was served to good jazz, life does not get much better.



Here are two photos from another medieval town Pals, not far from Begur and equally beautiful.

Leonard was excellent but more of him another time. Yesterday we left the unseasonal heat and pollution of Barcelona (for those of us with asthma it was a little difficult) for the rain swept levels of Somerset, only to discover that part of our alottment was underwater again! I tell you next year I am growing rice.

4 comments:

  1. Interesting post, Pals looks wonderful, just the type of place I'd love to wander around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Pals was very interesting, very well preserved medieval town. The Church was lovely.

      Delete
  2. Great photographs! I especially like the pictures of Pals; those streets are inviting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the photos. The streets were inviting, you could set an interesting fantasy story in such a setting.

      Delete